Sunday, August 1, 2010

3rd Day Katherine


Today we went to Knott's Cossing, about 7kms from town. This was the first river crossing in Katherine in the old days. Beautiful spot. Big signs warning of croc's as usual up here in all the waterways.


 
We came back into town and had a cup of coffee and a milkshake and then I decided to go visit the Cutta Cutta caves about 50kms from town. Nanny didn't want to go as she doesn't like being like a rabbit and being underground.
Russell, our guide was really terrific and explained a lot of the history of the area, and he really knew his shit. The water from these caves actually travels underground to come back up at the hot springs, which are just behind the Riverview Caravan Park where we are staying.

  

On the way back I dropped in to the RAAF Tindal base uninvited, and was met at the gate by a 6 foot gorilla and his dog who advised I wasn't really welcome. He was really nice and said I could go through the residential area on the way back out to the main road.

Got back to the park and Nanny and I went down to the hot springs for a walk. These springs after leaving Cutta Cutta Caves pop up and travel in a loop to eventually flow into the Katherine River. The water bubbles out of the ground at an average of 32 degrees celcius.

 

On the way back we took some shots of the Katherine river. It's hard to believe that in1998 it flooded the town. The river must have risen at least 30 meters.


  
Tomorrow we are going out to Edith Falls about 50 kms from town.

Look for the update tomorrow evening.

Off to bed = Goodnight. 






No comments: